The Face Behind the Comments

Posted by Liz McCoy Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Have you ever been on a blog or website and seen comment areas where someone’s picture shows up and others do not. There is usually a place holder there that looks like:

 NoPictureDark[1]

These little profile pictures are also called avatars.

Typically you have to register some place to get your profile picture to show up on one blog then another place for another site. Kind of annoying huh?


That’s where GRAVATAR.COM comes in.

image 

__

What is a gravatar?

A gravatar, or globally recognized avatar, is quite simply an image that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things. Avatars help identify your posts on blogs and web forums, so why not on any site?

~copied from gravatar.com

Why would I want this service?
Having one place to update your avatar comes in handy, it puts a consistent face out there on the web to your comments, making them a bit more personal. I feel like I connect with people better and remember them when I see their face and a username over and over, and not just a name. I am usually so bombarded with names that without a picture they tend to blur together.

Who cares if I have a picture or not?
As we all know you can not accurately convey emotion, tone of voice, sarcasm, and when you respond in a language that is not your first language some things are lost in translation. Having an avatar with a smile or a scowl will also color your comments and give more insight to your words.

What pictures make good avatars?
Pictures that capture who you are. What a general answer huh? Okay here is an exercise. List 3 or 4 adjectives that describe who you are (or who you like to portray if that differs for you :P ) For me I like to think of myself as light-hearted, goofy, positive and fun. (Don’t tell me if you disagree-I don’t want to know—LOL).

Okay, do you have your adjectives in your head?  Go and find a picture that illustrates, one or all of them.  Do you have your picture? Fantastic!
Me too! LOOKIE:

 

Now go sign up at gravatar.com and put a face to your comments, and watch out for my goofy face around the world wide web!


blog comments powered by Disqus
Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda FazaniInstalled by CahayaBiru.com

About Me